Test Your Olympics Mettle (See What We Did There?)
If you’re like us, your excitement for the summer Olympic games in Rio de Janeiro is reaching a fever pitch. We’re buzzing about the upcoming games here at ModSquad, with our Mods all around the globe rooting fervently for their homelands to take home the gold.
If your company is anything like ours, you’ll want to be up-to-speed on everything Olympics for your daily chitchats at the virtual water cooler. If you want to drop some cool info nuggets into your next sporting discussion, you’re in luck. This quiz will not only test your Olympics I.Q., but will provide you with meaningless trivia that will impress even the biggest know-it-alls at your company! Don’t say we didn’t warn you.
1) Which of the following is not an actual Olympic sport?
A. Race walking
B. Dressage (equestrian)
D. Ten-pin bowling
2) The five rings of the Olympics Rings represent…
A. Five major fields of athletics
B. Five continents of the world
C. Five philosophies of the ancient world
D. Five Guys Burgers & Fries
3) What percentage of an Olympic gold medal is actual gold?
I always get super-hyped about the summer Olympic games. My favorite part of the Olympics is how the world seems to come together and we are reminded that no matter what our politicians are doing, we are one people and a global community.
— Melanie Lara, Campbell, CA
4) Which of the following sports have been dropped from the summer games?
A. Baseball and softball
B. Canoe slalom and canoe sprint
5) Which of the following film directors has not been responsible for an Olympics opening ceremony?
A. Danny Boyle (Slumdog Millionaire, 28 Days Later)
B. Fernando Meirelles (The Constant Gardener, City of God)
C. George Miller (Happy Feet, Mad Max: Fury Road)
D. Zhang Yimou (Hero, The Great Wall)
In the opening ceremonies, I love reading the stats about each country as they come out and seeing the pride as they all walk together. The way the ceremonies use the history of the home nation as inspiration for the musical theme is amazing!
— Rebekah Good, Ravenswood, WV
6) Female Thai gold medalist Prapawadee Jaroenrattanatarakoon holds the record for longest name by an Olympic champion. Her name was too long to fit on the scoreboard, and she was listed as “J”. In which sport did she compete?
7) Which of the following films did not follow the adventures of Olympic athletes?
A. Cool Runnings
B. Eddie the Eagle
I love watching athletes like Eddie “The Eagle,” Eric Moussambani (the swimmer who had only learned to swim eight months before the games), and, of course, the Jamaican bobsled team.
— Alfie Gonzalez, Titusville, PA
8) What is the official restaurant of the Olympic games?
C. Panera Bread
9) Which member of the British royal family has won an Olympic medal?
A. Zara Phillips, equestrian
B. Alfred the Great, 1,500m
C. Queen Elizabeth II, hurdles
D. Prince George, discus
10) Composer Leo Arnauld’s familiar “Bugler’s Dream” has long been associated with the modern Olympics. However, in recent decades, the “Olympic Fanfare and Theme” (below) has taken its place as an enduring musical representation of the world’s sports heroes; who composed it?
A. John Philip Sousa
B. Aaron Copland
C. Leonard Bernstein
D. John Williams
1-D; 2-B; 3-A; 4-A; 5-C; 6-D; 7-D; 8-B; 9-A; 10-D
Sources: CBS Sports, CNN, Top End Sports
“Atos at the Olympic Winter Games in Sochi looking at Bolshoy Arena with Olympic rings” by atosorigin is licensed under CC BY 2.0.International Sports, Offbeat and tagged #modsnotcubes, olympics, quiz. Bookmark the permalink.
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR BLOG
Get a weekly roundup from the world of ModSquad.